Posted by

Katy England Katy England
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
edge staff writer


March 13, 2013

Rate this item
(0 votes)
Bureau of Motor Vehicles Detective Stephanie Beaulieu Honored by the Maine Chiefs of Police Association for Heroism

SOUTH PORTLAND, AUGUSTA, and CARIBOU, MAINE - Detective Stephanie Beaulieu of Fort Fairfield, who serves in the Department of the Secretary of State and works primarily out of the Caribou branch office, was scheduled to be honored in February at the Maine Chiefs of Police Association annual awards banquet for her actions on April 19th, 2012, that earned her the Association's Life Saving By a Law Enforcement Officer Award. That event was disrupted by the major snowstorm of February 8, 2013. Beaulieu was subsequently honored in Caribou on February 21, 2013.

On April 19th, 2012, Beaulieu was at home with her daughter having supper when her husband's fire department scanner sounded an alert for first responders to aid a woman in labor with twins, and was informed that one had already been delivered. Beaulieu knew that much of the town's emergency crew was tied up fighting a fire, so both she and her daughter got into her unmarked police car and headed to the house, which was only a mile away. 

En route, they passed Border Patrol Agent Daryl McElvene who followed as backup, not sure if Beaulieu was responding to a domestic violence call. Once he was apprised of the situation, he stayed on scene to direct emergency crews when they arrived.

Arriving at the address, Beaulieu found the door locked. Seeing a young child in the house, Beaulieu was able to convince the child to open the door, and entered hearing crying and yells for help. Upon finding the mother on the floor in the bathroom and the newborn baby next to her, struggling to breathe, Beaulieu began immediate care to stimulate the baby's breathing.

 'From day one, in law enforcement, I learned you have to take control and you can't let a situation control you. You don't have time to think. I had no time to think. I had three lives I needed to save: the mother; the girl that is just as gray as gray can be, and the little boy that hasn't been born,' said Beaulieu in a phone interview. 'You're trained to protect and serve. When you put that badge and gun on, I never know what I'm going to run into and I pray to God I return home every night.'

Upon arrival of the ambulance crew including Paramedic Fred Parsons and Intermediate EMT Matt McPherson, and with little room to maneuver and both had to stand in the bathtub, Beaulieu continued to assist the mother, who had a dangerous breech birth proceeding with the second baby. Following instructions from the Parsons, Beaulieu and McPherson were able to assist the mother in a successful and safe delivery of the baby boy.

 'It amazed me how smooth everything went,' she said. She recalled telling the mother that she was going to have to concentrate on the Parsons' instructions. She credits the prompt and professional response and good working relationship first responders have with each other regardless of agency. She noted that many agencies responded to the call, including Border Patrol, Crown Ambulance, and Fort Fairfield Fire Department.

Beaulieu followed up with the twins after they were admitted to the hospital and was even able to visit with them when they returned to Fort Fairfield.

After this incident, Beaulieu decided it was time to become nationally certified as a basic EMT and took a class to become one.

'90-percent of the time a police officer gets there first,' she said. 'You put that badge on and you swear to protect and serve and you never know what situation you'll get in. You do your best and you do what you're obligated to do.'

Though, she hopes she never has to deliver two babies again.

'This is not the first time Detective Stephanie Beaulieu has used quick thinking and action to save a child,' said Maine Secretary of State Matt Dunlap, referring to a June 10, 2005 instance where Beaulieu saved a choking child at a school function. 'Stephanie is a top-flight law enforcement officer, and a huge resource to this department, but she is also an obvious and abundant resource to the people of Aroostook County, and we join them in expressing our gratitude for her quick actions, and congratulate her for this well-deserved award. I want to thank the Maine Chiefs of Police Association for honoring a great detective and tremendous fried to the community.'

Needing roadwork is not an emergency

ETNA - An inebriated man tied up local resources by repeated calling 911 to complain that his road was bad and needed work. 

In the early morning hours on March 7, a deputy responded to the residence of Michael Smen, 52, and informed him that he should not use 911 to complain about road conditions and to call the public works in the morning. The deputy noted that Smen was extremely intoxicated.

Police seek clues in vandals tagging in Old Town

OLD TOWN - Police are actively investigating a rash of vandalism. Taggers have reportedly spray-painted around a dozen local businesses, including the American Legion, Subway, Kosta's Restaurant, The Old Town/Orono YMCA and more.

Captain Kyle Smart said the tags included the letters REKAP or NIG and the numbers 689 in various combinations.

Anyone with information should call the Old Town Police Department at 827-3985.

Sergeant Garry Higgins retires

BANGOR  Sergeant Garry Higgins of the Bangor Police Department will be hosting his retirement coffee at the police station, second floor classroom, on March 12, 2013 at 9 a.m. 

Higgins graduated Franklin Regional High School in Murrysville in Pennsylvania in 1978. He graduated from the University of Maine Orono with a Bachelor of Science (business administration) Management and Marketing concentration in 1987.

Higgins was honorably discharged from the United States Coast Guard after completing four years of service in 1983. He began his career in law enforcement with the Orono Police Department from 1985 to1988. Garry was hired at the Bangor Police Department June 27, 1988 and was promoted to Sergeant December 1997. His duties have included working in the Criminal Investigations Division, Penobscot County Major Crimes Task Force, U.S. Attorney's Office as an Investigator for Violent Crimes Task Force, and Maine Drug Enforcement Agency. 

Garry has accepted the Investigators position with the Penobscot County District Attorney's Office.


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine