Posted by

Katy England Katy England
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
edge staff writer


July 3, 2013

Rate this item
(0 votes)
Oxford man faces felony sexual assault charges

BANGOR Police arrested a British man for gross sexual assault after he flew to the country to meet with a 13-year-girl at an area hotel room.

On June 30, Det. Andrew Whitehouse from the Penobscot County Sheriff's Office contacted Bangor Det. Brent Beaulieu concerning a sexual assault he was investigating. Whitehouse informed Beaulieu that he received a complaint from the father of a 13-year-old Levant girl. The father told police that she had met Nicholas Cheese, 26 of Oxford, England, online about a year ago and that Cheese flew to Bangor last week and rented a hotel room in the city.

After an investigation that included an interview with Cheese at his hotel room, he was placed under arrest and charged with class A felony gross sexual assault and class B felony exploitation of a minor, and taken to Penobscot County Jail.

Cheese's bail has been set at $25,000 and his passport has been revoked.

Man deals drugs in front of off-duty cop

OLD TOWN  When dealing drugs, having witnesses nearby could pose some problems for future transactions. At least they did for an 18-year-old Milford man after he allegedly sold drugs to another man in front of the off-duty police captain.

On June 25, around 7 p.m., Old Town Police Capt. Kyle Smart was driving along Main Street when he saw a man waiting to cross the street near the city park. As the man was crossing, Smart reportedly saw him hold out folded bills to a man with a backpack. The currency was exchanged for a small item, and it struck the captain as suspicious. He contacted on-duty officers to investigate, and while waiting for the officers to arrive, Smart parked the car and continued watching the man with the backpack.

Officer Jordan Norton arrived and asked the man, who was identified as Devon Jackson, 18, of Milford, what he had sold the other man. Jackson denied the transaction and having seen another man, even after the captain informed him he had only been feet away during the incident.

After a subsequent search, police located 12 grams of marijuana inside a water bottle, and based on the amount of the drug and what Smart witnessed, Jackson was charged with unlawful furnishing of a scheduled drug.

And away we go

HANCOCK  Maine State Tpr. Cliff Peterson responded to Route 182 in Hancock on June 17 after it was reported that a vehicle was being operated erratically. 

The driver had nearly struck fellow Tpr. Greg Roy as he was conducting a traffic stop in Franklin. Peterson located the vehicle and attempted to pull the driver over but he refused to yield. Peterson pursued the vehicle from Route 182 in Hancock onto Route 1, where it continued heading north. He followed it for another four miles, before it turned into a driveway and the driver fled on foot into the woods.

Tpr. Chris Smith and his canine, Winger, responded to the scene and soon located the driver, later identified as Cameron Hicks, 26, of Ellsworth, a short time later and he was taken into custody without further incident.

Police learned that Hicks' license was suspended and he was on probation. He was arrested for eluding and faces numerous other charges, including operating under the influence and operating after suspension.

Peeling out in front of cops is rarely a good idea

OLD TOWN  Police say a Newburgh man who was unsuccessful in landing an early-morning snack was arrested over the weekend for operating under the influence.

On June 29, around 1:20 a.m., Officer Ryan Fitch was on patrol on Stillwater Avenue near the intersection with College Avenue when he saw a dark SUV exit the McDonald's parking lot at a high rate of speed and make an illegal left turn. Fitch stopped the vehicle and spoke to the driver, identified as Stephen Rideout, 24, of Newburgh, who told the officer he was upset that the McDonald's was closed because he was hungry.

Fitch noticed signs of intoxication and had Rideout step out of the vehicle for field sobriety tests. After reportedly failing the tests, he was placed under arrest. A subsequent search turned up a baggie with a useable amount of marijuana and a glass pipe.

Rideout was ultimately charged with operating under the influence and possession of a usable amount of marijuana, and taken to Penobscot County Jail.

How'd that get there?

PERRY  A pilfered bus was reunited with its owners after it was found on someone else's lawn last week.

On June 22, Maine State Tpr. Kim Sawyer received a call from Pleasant Point Police Officer Ryan Murray that he had located a stolen bus on Route 190 in Perry.

After arriving on scene, the owners of the bus had observed the vehicle on the lawn. The resident of the home had no idea how it had gotten there. 

Police said the owners were happy to have their bus back and did not want a criminal investigation regarding the incident.


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine