Posted by

Jodi Hersey Jodi Hersey
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
edge staff writer


July 25, 2012

Rate this item
(0 votes)
Alleged burglar obsessed with Coe Building in Bangor 

BANGOR - There is just something about the Coe Building on Columbia Street in Bangor that seems to be attracting the wrong type of customer - or customers.

Police say over the weekend, four businesses were either damaged or burglarized within that stretch of property located between Main and Cross Streets. Officers spoke to a complainant at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, July 21, who discovered the building had been broken into. Both the Pulse Marketing Agency and Hometown Newspapers, LLC, informed police that more than $4,000 of equipment was missing from each business. Two other businesses, which authorities say also appear to have been broken into sometime Friday night or early Saturday morning, reported none of their property had been taken. Bangor police say the person or persons responsible for the break-in caused another $2,000 in damages.

In the past few weeks, both Northstar Photography and The Sweetest Thing on Columbia Street have reported similar incidents happening at their places of employment. Bangor's Criminal Investigations Division is now handling the case. Anyone with information about the burglaries is urged to call the department at 947-7382. Those who wish to remain anonymous should press 6 to activate the tip line.

Knife wielding transient causes panic alarm notification on Union St.

BANGOR - A 22-year-old transient caused quite a ruckus last Wednesday when he refused to remove two large knives from his belt while at the Eastern Maine Healthcare Mall on Union Street.

Authorities were called to the business after a panic alarm was set off around 5:45 p.m. on July 18. According to police, security at the healthcare mall asked the customer, who was later identified as David Tenney, to remove the knives, which only angered Tenney. When he refused to disarm, the alarm was pressed. Bangor Officer Tim Shaw and Sgt. Jim Buckley arrived on the scene to find Tenney in the Healthcare Mall parking lot. When they removed the two knives from either side of his belt, Tenney became visibly upset and began yelling obscenities. Tenney, who was uncooperative, had to physically restrained by both men as well as a third officer and off-duty lieutenant who happened to be in the area. He was then transported to EMMC to be medically cleared and summoned for disorderly conduct and failing to submit to arrest.

Old Town resident calls cops on son-in-law

OLD TOWN - A woman in Old Town called authorities Saturday saying her son-in-law was harassing her and refused to leave.

Officer Christine McAvoy arrived at the Sanford Street residence around 7 p.m. on July 21, and while speaking to 28-year-old Clayton White of Old Town, the officer noticed his speech was slurred and detected a strong smell of alcohol. White, who was not supposed to use intoxicants per his conditions of release from a prior incident, was arrested for violating those conditions and removed from the home. While on his way to the county jail, he lay down in the back of the cop car and started kicking the bars between the front and back seat. The drama only continued once he arrived at the jail. There, he threatened to kick the jail staff and had to be pepper sprayed before finally being placed in isolation. 

One arrested during family fight in Old Town

OLD TOWN - A 25-year-old Old Town woman spent part of her weekend sobering up in a jail cell following a family fight Saturday evening.

Officer Ryan Fitch was called to the Spring Street residence around 10:40 p.m. on July 21 after Abigail LaMore refused to leave the property. The caller told police LaMore was "flipping out," intoxicated and refused to leave. When Fitch arrived at the home he found LaMore, who reeked of alcohol, sitting on the front lawn. While he and Sgt. Casey were interviewing some of the individuals at the home, LaMore made her way over to them, shoving the person who called police and almost knocking him to the ground. She was then placed under arrest and charged with domestic violence assault. On her way to jail, authorities said she kept banging her head on the Plexiglas divider. LaMore was later placed in isolation at the Penobscot Count Jail.

Eddington man arrested for allegedly threatening girlfriend in Brewer

BREWER - An Eddington man who is no stranger to police was arrested by authorities Saturday night after allegedly threatening his girlfriend.

Officers responded to a Union Street residence around 6:45 p.m. on July 21 after a woman called them saying her boyfriend was opening and closing a knife and wouldn't stop threatening her. Before authorities arrived, the man took off on foot. Corporal Nelson Feero and Sgt. David Lord later found 28-year-old Daniel Logan, arrested him for criminal threatening and summoned him for obstructing the report of a crime or injury for trying to stop his girlfriend from calling police and struggling with her while she was on the phone on them.

Authorities who are familiar with Logan say the Eddington resident does have a criminal background.

Orono man stopped for OUI

OLD TOWN - A 22-year-old Orono man was pulled over and charged with operating under the influence after police saw him speeding on Main Street in Old Town Sunday morning.

Officer Lee Miller was on patrol when he saw a vehicle driven by 22-year-old Peter Hitchko make a rather wide turn onto Main Street around 1:55 a.m. on July 22. Miller followed the vehicle, and when it began speeding he pulled over the operator. Miller detected the smell of alcohol on Hitchko and had him perform a number of field sobriety test. Hitchko didn't do well on the tests, and he was arrested and charged with OUI. Toxicology tests taken at the police station later proved Hitchko was just over the legal limit of .08. 

Father & son arrested after allegedly threatening to throw one-month old out window

BANGOR - A 30-year-old Bangor resident who was upset that his wife gave birth to a girl and not a boy was arrested Friday after allegedly threatening to throw the child out a second story window.

Officer Brian Smith was called to a home just off Stillwater Avenue at 11:30 a.m. on July 20 for a domestic dispute. When he arrived, a very upset female told the officer that her husband, Gurpreet Singh, and her 65-year-old father-in-law, Harbhajan Singh, threatened to throw her one-month-old daughter out the window. The mother of the child went on to tell police that the issue over her not producing a boy became more volatile when an argument of the sex of the baby started again, during which time the mother said both men tried to grab the infant from her arms and threatened to throw her out the second story window. Both Singh men were interviewed and arrested for domestic violence and criminal threatening. Both have since made bail.

Woman arrested after allegedly stabbing husband in Bangor

BANGOR - Authorities were called to a Hammond Street apartment Saturday for a reported stabbing.

Police responded to the scene at about 4:40 p.m. on July 21, where they, along with Bangor ambulance, began treating a 49-year-old man with stab wounds to his left shoulder. The victim was transported to EMMC with non-life-threatening injuries while a description of the alleged assailant was given out. Moments later, a woman matching that description was found walking down Hammond Street hill. Witnesses in the apartment said 45-year-old Jacqueline Williams of Brewer and her husband were arguing that afternoon and at some point Williams became angry, ran to the kitchen, grabbed a large knife and swung at the victim, cutting him in the shoulder.

Williams was taken to the Bangor Police Department, interviewed and subsequently arrested for elevated aggravated assault and domestic assault. Bail was set at $5,000 cash.


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine