Posted by

Katy England Katy England
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
edge staff writer


July 10, 2013

Rate this item
(0 votes)
Public assistance sought in Canaan sexual assault

CANAAN Maine State Police are asking for the public's help with a sexual assault investigation in the Somerset County town of Canaan that occurred July 7. 

Detectives are investigating the sexual assault of a 50-year-old woman who was pulled off her bicycle along the road early that afternoon. She reported that two men assaulted her and then fled in a motor vehicle.

A passerby stopped to assist the woman following the assault and called 911. The victim is from Florida and was visiting a relative in Canaan. She was treated and released from Redington-Fairview General Hospital in Skowhegan.

The Whitten Road in Canaan is not a heavily-traveled road and likely has only a dozen motor vehicles using it per hour, so detectives are hopeful the public may have information that could be helpful in the case. Police are asking for anyone who traveled along Whitten Road in Canaan between noontime and 2:30 p.m. on July 7 to call State Police in Augusta with any information they have concerning persons or vehicles they may have seen in the area.

Maine State Police in Augusta can be contacted at 624-7076 or 800-452-4664.

Man with gun, randomly firing shots, causes parade to re-route

BANGOR  A man who caused the 4th of July parade to re-route because he was shooting randomly out his window was arrested by police.

At around 8:30 a.m. on the holiday morning, Bangor police responded to 47 Park Street for the report of an armed man who had sent a woman and her baby fleeing for help.

Officers arrived and identified the man as Perrin Oliver, 43, of Bangor. Oliver was reportedly shooting indiscriminately out the window. The Bangor Police Special Response Team was called in and the area was shut down. Residents were asked to stay indoors or to evacuate, and hundreds of parade-goers were diverted to Main and Water Streets where the parade and road race were re-routed.

During the four-hour standoff, Oliver fired sporadically at police, first responders and SRT members. The department's robot was used by SRT members to fire several rounds of tear gas into the suspect's apartment.

Oliver was taken into custody around 12:20 p.m. and transported to Penobscot County Jail. He has been charged with class C felony criminal threatening and class B felony aggravated reckless conduct with a firearm.

Police took a handgun into evidence. The incident is still under investigation.

You weren't supposed to get here from there

AMHERST  A Massachusetts man was arrested for allegedly driving while drunk after the Phish concert. Oddly enough, police say he was arrested on Route 9 in Amherst after leaving the Bangor concert more than a little out of his way.

On July 3, Tpr. Chris Smith investigated an erratic vehicle complaint on Route 9. As a result, Smith located and arrested Morgan C. Burns, 34, from Ipswich, Mass., for OUI. Burns was attempting to return to Massachusetts after attending the Phish concert in Bangor. 

Police noted that Burns was lost, possibly due to his level of intoxication.

Rude awakening

ORONO  A graduate student from Orono is facing charges for allegedly waking his roommate up at knifepoint.

On July 6 around 8:48 a.m., a man called police saying his roommate, Mussie Beyene, 33, of Orchard Trails, woke him up at knifepoint and threatened him. Beyene reportedly believed that his roommates had urinated in his food. 

The victim left the apartment to call police from a neighbor's apartment. 

Another roommate was also kicked out of the apartment by Beyene and claimed he was also threatened.

Police arrived and detained Beyene, placing him in handcuffs for safety reasons. They interviewed him and another roommate in the apartment.

As a result of the investigation, Beyene was arrested for criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon and aggravated criminal trespass. The trespass charge stems from Beyene lack of permission to be in the victim's bedroom. At Orchard Trails, residents have personal bedrooms and share common areas.

He was taken to Penobscot County Jail.

Police could not determine if there was urine in the food.

Too drunk to drive, or shop

ORONO  An Orono man is facing charges after allegedly driving while drunk Saturday morning.

On July 5, Officer Chase Haas responded to the report of an erratic vehicle that was driving on Main Street. The caller told dispatch that the vehicle had pulled into a local Irving station and was able to provide a description and license plate number.

Shortly thereafter, dispatch received a call from an employee of the Irving that said there were two intoxicated men in the store and they had to hold on to the ATM to remain standing, according to police reports. 

When Haas arrived, he spoke to the man who was reportedly driving. He was identified as Ronald Henry, 33, of Orono. Henry denied drinking, claiming he was tired from work. Haas noted signs of impairment and could smell alcohol on Henry. 

He put the man through field sobriety tests and then placed Henry under arrest. He was subsequently taken to the hospital for a blood test. Drug paraphernalia was also reportedly found, including a spoon with white powder residue, small bindle baggies and a scale.

Henry was charged with operating under the influence and possession of drug paraphernalia.


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine