Posted by

Allen Adams Allen Adams
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

edge staff writer


Criminal Mischief (10/16/2019)

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Man accidentally shot in Bangor restaurant parking lot

BANGOR – A man from southern Maine is recovering after being accidentally shot outside of a Bangor restaurant.

According to reports, the incident took place at about 12:30 p.m. in the parking lot of the Oriental Jade restaurant, located on Bangor Mall Boulevard.

Sgt. Wade Betters of the Bangor Police Department said that the accidental shooting happened when the man opened the rear door of his truck and a loaded handgun placed back there fell out and discharged. According to the statement, a bullet hit the man in the leg when the gun went off.

The man was taken to a nearby medical care facility for treatment. There will be no charges filed.

Meth lab busted in Bangor

BANGOR – Two people have been charged following the discovery of a suspected meth lab in Bangor.

The MDEA lab team went to 23 Birch Street in Bangor to investigate a suspected methamphetamine lab found inside. Bangor Police made the discovery on Oct. 12 after responding to the house for a disturbance call. Both apartments were evacuated that night.

The building was secured and the lab team arrived there late the next morning, when they processing evidence. DEP and Bangor Fire Department were also on scene assisting. 

MDEA have charged a man and a woman in connection with the incident. This marks the 29th response by the MDEA lab team this year.

Final injured firefighter out of hospital after explosion

FARMINGTON (AP) — The last of the firefighters injured in a deadly building explosion in Maine has been released from the hospital.

Maine Medical Center said Sunday that Capt. Scott Baxter has been discharged to a rehabilitation facility. The explosion destroyed the LEAP Inc. building in Farmington and hospitalized six firefighters.

Another firefighter, 68-year-old Capt. Michael Bell, was killed in the blast. The Portland Press Herald reports that LEAP maintenance manager Larry Lord was also injured and is being treated at a hospital in Boston.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office found that propane leaking from a line under a parking lot caused the explosion. It’s still undetermined what caused the leak itself or the spark that led to the blast.

Trucker rescued from water in Woolwich

WOOLWICH (AP) — Police say a tractor-trailer driver fell asleep at the wheel and drove off an embankment into water near Route One in Maine.

The Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office says the crash happened before 6 a.m. Thursday. A deputy says 60-year-old driver Steven Brown, of Providence, Rhode Island, appears to have fallen asleep and gone off the road.

Police say Brown was trapped until he could be rescued by a boat. He was taken to a hospital for undisclosed injuries.

WCSH-TV reports Brown was transporting medical supplies in the tractor-trailer.

Police say they’re still investigating the crash.

Accidental self-inflicted gunshot death investigated

FLAGSTAFF TOWNSHIP (AP) — Game wardens in Maine say they’re investigating the death of a 57-year-old hunter who died from an unintentional, self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The wardens say Mark Henderson, of Eustis, reported that he had unintentionally shot himself in the leg while bird hunting on Tuesday night. They say he was hunting near the northwest shore of Flagstaff Lake in Franklin County.

A game warden located Henderson, administered aid and loaded him into a truck. The warden service says emergency personnel continued to administer care to Henderson for about 40 minutes before he died from his injuries.

The warden service says the state averages about six hunting incidents per year, and this was the first incident this year. There have been three fatal incidents over the past 10 years.

Coast Guard questions veracity of distress call

SOUTH PORTLAND (AP) — The U.S. Coast Guard is investigating the possibility that a distress call about a capsized boat off the coast of southern Maine was a hoax.

The Coast Guard initiated a 22-hour search on Saturday after a series of short distress calls from a man who claimed he and his three children had capsized 10 nautical miles off the coast of Kennebunkport, Maine.

In a public statement the Coast Guard suspended the search Sunday after reportedly searching 1,500 square nautical miles.

The Coast Guard released a recording of the distress call and asked the public to help identify the voice to determine if it was a hoax.

Last modified on Tuesday, 15 October 2019 16:14


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine