Posted by

Allen Adams Allen Adams
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

edge staff writer


Criminal Mischief (10/11/2017)

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Bangor man charged with car thefts

BANGOR - A Bangor man has been charged in connection with a recent rash of motor vehicle thefts in the Bangor area.

On Oct. 2, 27-year old Cody Fairless of Bangor was arrested by Bangor detectives. Fairless has been charged in connection with five recent motor vehicle thefts from two Bangor automobile dealerships.

The most recent rash of automobile thefts started in mid-August when an abandoned 2017 Dodge Durango was discovered near Husson Avenue in Bangor.

Subsequent motor vehicle thefts were discovered on Sept. 21 and Sept. 27. Recovered motor vehicles were examined by investigators from the Bangor Police Department and the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office.

The vehicles, stolen from Bangor dealerships, were believed to have been used in commercial building burglaries which were under investigation by the Sheriff’s Office.

Bangor investigators are now reopening similar motor vehicle thefts which occurred back in 2015, taking a new look in order to determine if there is a link to the most recent activity.

Fairless is being held at the Penobscot County Jail and has been charged with two counts of unauthorized use of property, two counts of felony theft, and operating after revocation. Fairless was also charged two counts of burglary (Class C) by the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office.

The investigation in ongoing. 

Bangor accident briefly shuts down downtown

BANGOR — Part of downtown Bangor was shut down after a driver jumped a curb and crashed into a light pole, according to witnesses and police reports.

The vehicle in question – a white sedan – had come around the corner next to Giacomo’s on Main St. at a high rate of speed. It hit the sidewalk before picking up speed while traveling up Hammond St. From there, the car sideswiped two parked cars and crashed into a light pole, which subsequently toppled over into the street, before coming to rest near the intersection of State and Exchange.

By all accounts, it seems that only the driver was injured in the crash, though the street was left strewn with wreckage and debris. According to officials at the scene, the driver had only minor injuries and was able to walk away from the crash.

Police shut down part of the downtown street for the investigation, with traffic rerouted for a brief period of time. Electrical workers were also on the scene in an effort to deal with power flow to the knocked over streetlight.

Fireworks death in Sabattus

SABATTUS – A Lewiston man has died following an incident involving fireworks that took place in the town of Sabattus.

According to the State Fire Marshal's Office, the man died on the afternoon of Oct. 8 after a fireworks shell he lit exploded in Sabattus.  The man – 57-year-old Timothy Whitney Sr. of Lewiston - died shortly after his arrival at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston. 

Investigators say that at about 2 p.m., Whitney lit a commercial type fireworks shell that was set into a cement cinderblock outside his son's home on Meadow Lane in Sabattus. The shell exploded in the cinderblock; the force of that explosion caused pieces of the cinderblock to make impact with two homes located some 140 feet away. Whitney was standing only 15 feet away when several pieces of cement struck him. 

He had obtained the fireworks sometime in the past year. They were the type only available to licensed fireworks operators. According to pyrotechnics experts, both state and federal licenses are required to use fireworks of this ilk. Whitney reportedly had no such licenses.  

Three other family members, who were standing 80 to 90 feet away at the time of the incident, were not injured. 

The last fireworks death in Maine took place in Calais back in July of 2015.

Wardens investigate hunting accidents

AUGUSTA (AP) — Game wardens in Maine say they are investigating partridge hunting accidents in which one hunter was hit by multiple pellets and another suffered a shotgun wound.

Wardens say Robert Cyr of Penobscot was injured when he and friend Ben Burns of Freeport were pursuing the same bird north of Rangeley on Friday. They say both men fired and Cyr was shot, with 20 or more pellets striking much of his body. He was later treated and released from a hospital.

Wardens also say Kayla Corey of Kennebunkport is recovering from a shotgun wound to her foot. They say her firearm discharged while she was hunting in Piscataquis County on Monday. She was taken to a hospital for treatment.


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine