Posted by

Allen Adams Allen Adams
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

edge staff writer


Criminal Mischief (09/13/2017)

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Half-pound of heroin seized

NEWPORT - Maine Drug Enforcement Agents seized a half-pound of heroin during a Sept. 7 traffic stop on Interstate 95. The drugs were bound for Penobscot and Hancock Counties. 

The seizure was the result of a months-long investigation conducted by investigators assigned to the MDEA Downeast Office in Ellsworth and the MDEA North Central Office in Bangor.

Shailene Chapman, 30, of Newburgh was arrested around 5 p.m. on the afternoon of Sept. 7 after her SUV was stopped in the northbound lane of I-95 near Newport. Chapman has been the focus of an investigation by MDEA over the past several months for her suspected role in the importation of heroin from out of state for resale in the two counties.

Agents learned that Chapman would be returning to Maine from New York in a rental car on the day in question. Armed with a search warrant, agents stopped the SUV on the Interstate with the assistance of State Police and the Penobscot Sheriff’s Office. 

A State Police canine was brought to the scene and the dog located nearly a half-pound of heroin hidden in luggage inside the vehicle. The street value of the heroin was $42,000; this amount was the equivalent of 2,000 doses.  

Chapman was charged with Class A Aggravated Trafficking is Schedule W Drugs (heroin); the charge was aggravated due to the quantity of heroin seized. She was taken to the Penobscot County Jail where bail was set at $10,000 cash.

Arson at Joe’s

BANGOR – A local woman is being accused of arson after fire damaged a Garland Street business.

According to officials, 43-year-old Marie Sanfratello of Bangor is being charged with arson after starting a fire at Joe’s Market, a convenience store located on Garland St.

The fire was first noticed at around 6 a.m. on the morning of Sept. 10. Quick response from Bangor’s police and fire departments led to the fire being extinguished before much damage could be done.

Both the store and the apartments located upstairs were left largely unharmed. Joe’s Market is up and running and open for business.

Sanfratello is being held at Penobscot County Jail on $10,000 bail. The motive for the incident remains under investigation.

Prank call leads to lockdown

JAY (AP) — An elementary school student is charged with making 911 calls that forced several schools to go into lockdown in Jay.

Police say the 9-year-old girl allegedly reported to an emergency dispatcher that someone had a gun in Spruce Mountain Middle School.

Jay police Chief Richard Caton IV told the Morning Sentinel that this is the first time his department has dealt with someone so young in such a case.

He said it’s unclear why the youngster made multiple calls from a school bus.

Creating a false public alarm is a misdemeanor. Caton said the case will be handled through the juvenile court system.

Blue Mass held in Bangor

BANGOR – A special mass dedicated to law enforcement and other officials devoted to protection and service was held at a Bangor church on Sept. 10.

The Blue Mass was held at St. John's Church, which is part of St. Paul the Apostle Parish. Bishop Robert P. Deeley presided over the mass itself, which was dedicated to all members of the community who protect and serve: first responders from State, County, and Municipal law enforcement; Fire Rescue; the Warden Service; Forest Rangers; Emergency Medical Services; Border Patrol; Department of Defense and Department of Homeland Security and more. 

According to a pamphlet provided at the service, “The Blue Mass is the principal occasion for the Diocese of Portland to recognize the dedication and self-sacrifice of those who protect and serve us throughout Maine.”

The tradition of The Blue Mass dates back to services held in 1934 in Washington DC, and became a tradition celebrating the sacrifices of the first responders after the tragic events on September 11, 2001.

Members representing multiple jurisdictions from across the state were on hand to post the colors and perform during the pipe-and drum ceremony before and after the service. The mass was open to the public, as well as friends and families of first responders. After the mass, all were invited to the reception in the parish hall.


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine