Posted by

Allen Adams Allen Adams
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

edge staff writer


Criminal Mischief (09/12/2018)

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Bucksport meth bust

BUCKSPORT – A meth lab was busted in Bucksport last week, resulting in two arrests.

MDEA Agents charged two people from Bucksport with operating a methamphetamine lab in an apartment on Noel Way in Bucksport. Shortly after 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 6, drug agents searched the apartment. When agents and local law enforcement entered the residence, they interrupted the occupants who were actively making meth, using what is commonly referred to as the “One-Pot” method. 

(By this method, all of the necessary ingredients are placed into one container and a violent chemical reaction ensues to convert the precursor drug – Pseudoephedrine - to Methamphetamine.) 

Following that discovery, the two other apartments in the building were evacuated and additional MDEA lab team resources were called in to process the scene and gather evidence. Agents seized processed methamphetamine, vessels used to manufacture meth and ingredients used to make the drug. 

Agents arrested 45-year-old Jamie Matlack and charged him with Class A Operation of a Methamphetamine Laboratory and Class C Unlawful Possession of Methamphetamine. 53-year-old Kimberly Matlack, Jamie’s aunt, was also arrested and charged with Class A Operation of a Methamphetamine Laboratory. The offense is aggravated because the apartment is within 1000 feet of the Reach School. Both were taken to the Hancock County Jail.   

The Bucksport Police Department, Bucksport Fire Department, Hancock County Sheriff’s Office and the Maine Department of Environmental Protection provided assistance with the investigation, security, decontamination and removal of the hazardous materials.

This is the 42nd response by MDEA’s lab team this year. In 2017, the team responded to 58 incidents. Reponses numbered 126 in 2016 and 56 in 2015. Due to the volatile, highly flammable and hazardous nature of the manufacturing process, lab team members are trained to OSHA standards and don specialized equipment and protective gear to address these incidents.

Bigelow Mountain plane crash

WYMAN TOWNSHIP – A small plane crashed in western Maine last week, but both the pilot and passenger escaped serious injury.

On the morning of Sept. 6, a couple from Vermont flying in a small float plane crashed into the side of the Bigelow Mountain Range, just north of Carrabassett Valley. Both escaped injury, hiked up the mountain and then walked out of the woods along the Appalachian Trail. A team of Game Wardens, Forest Rangers and State Troopers responded to the crash site, located in Wyman Township.

The float plane was owned and piloted from Frank Gibney of Colchester, Vt. His passenger was Diane Muhr, also from the same town.  Both are in their mid-60s. Gibney told troopers he was flying alongside another plane, which was piloted by a friend, when he lost visibility because of weather and his float plane crashed into trees. The friend notified the Maine Warden Service Office in Greenville. The crash took place about 10:30 a.m.

First responders from Eustis, Kingfield and Carrabassett Valley also responded to the area. A Maine Forest Service helicopter helped transport first responders closer to the crash site.

The couple was flying into the Greenville Seaplane Fly-In, which attracts hundreds of planes to the area. The crash will be investigated by the FAA, which will send an investigator to the site.

Camper crash in Richmond

RICHMOND – Two people from New Hampshire narrowly avoided catastrophe when their camper overturned on I-295.

On the morning of Sept. 7, a couple from NH escaped serious injury when their pickup and the camper they were towing overturned Friday morning along I-295 in Richmond. At approximately 8:20 a.m. on the morning in question, the vehicle lost control after a tractor trailer passing it swerved into their lane and struck the camper. 71-year-old Wilfred Dockham of Gilmanton, NH was taken to the Augusta hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Dockham’s wife Connie was not injured.

The operator of the tractor trailer did not immediately stop, but called police from the West Gardiner service plaza a few miles up the road. The driver - 61-year-old Thomas Bettcher of Portsmouth, NH – was hauling cement slabs to Bangor. Troopers from the State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit conducted a complete safety check of his vehicle following the crash. No charges were immediately lodged. 

Traffic on the northbound side was disrupted for over an hour as the wrecked camper and pickup were removed.

Walgreens robbed in Augusta

AUGUSTA (AP) — Police in Maine are searching for a man who they say stole medication from a drugstore.

Augusta Police Sgt. Eric Lloyd says the robbery happened at a Walgreens Pharmacy in Augusta Sunday morning. Lloyd says the suspect gave a pharmacist a threatening note before he stole a narcotic medication.

The suspect fled on foot. Police say they found a discarded black sweatshirt in front of a church near the pharmacy.

No one was injured in the robbery.

Anyone who has information about the robbery is asked to contact the Augusta Police Department.


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine