Posted by

Allen Adams Allen Adams
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

edge staff writer


Criminal Mischief (09/05/2018)

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Arrests made in animal cruelty incident

WINTER HARBOR – Two men accused of burglary and animal cruelty have turned themselves in at the Hancock County Jail following warrants being issued for their arrest.

On Aug. 26, the Winter Harbor Police Department received a complaint of burglary and a vehicle being taken, returned and damaged, as well as a missing family dog named Frankie.

The dog was subsequently killed, apparently in violent fashion. Its remains were found later on a nearby beach, wrapped in garbage bags.

Warrants were issued for the arrests of 37-year-old Nathan Burke of Hancock – a former employee of the complainant – and 22-year-old Justin Chipman of Steuben and Winter Harbor. As a result of those warrants and the wide dissemination of the story, both Burke and Chipman turned themselves in.

The men face a litany of charges: Burglary (Class B); Theft (Class E); Unauthorized Use of Property (Class D); Aggravated Criminal Mischief (Class C); and Aggravated Cruelty to Animals (Class C).

Further investigation is still to follow by the Winter Harbor and Gouldsboro Police Departments.

Out for a spin

MOUNT DESERT ISLAND – A runaway boat spent a late August morning out for a spin – all by itself.

A boat was circling in Somes Sound on the morning of Aug. 28 with no one aboard.

The Coast Guard, Maine Marine Patrol and the Northeast Harbor Master found the boat – a Boston Whaler - a little before 8 a.m.

Apparently, the operator had been thrown overboard into the water; the boat’s pilot was rescued subsequently by a passing good Samaritan.

There were no injuries reported and crews were eventually able to stop the boat.

The Coast Guard is using this as another example of reasons to always wear a life jacket when on the water.

Outboard deception

HANCOCK – An Addison man is in trouble after a claim that his boat motors were stolen turned out to be untrue.

Back on Aug. 20, the Hancock County Sheriff's Office received a complaint of the theft of two 300 horsepower outboard motors from the back of a boat that was parked in Hancock. The motors were valued at over $60,000.00.

However, the investigation led instead to the owner, which in turn led to the Aug. 27 arrest of 50-year-old Dean Langton of Addison, the owner of the boat and motors. Langton was arrested and charged with Class C Attempted Theft by Deception and Class E Filing a False Report.

He was arrested at his residence without incident at his residence by Hancock County Detectives Steve McFarland and Frank Jennings.

As of press time, the investigation remains ongoing.

Downeast boat fire

EASTPORT (AP) — Maine Marine Patrol says it has rescued two men whose aquaculture boat had caught fire.

Marine Patrol Officer Brian Brodie rescued Brett Newman and Patrick Blair Friday afternoon from Passamaquoddy Bay. Their 40-foot lobster-style boat caught fire while supplying feed for Cooke Aquaculture’s sites in the bay, which lies on the U.S.-Canadian border.

A routine patrol spotted the Canadian residents Newman and Blair paddling aboard a life raft. Newman and Blair had noticed smoke and flames from the engine room five minutes before Brodie found them.

Neither man had injuries. Both wore life jackets.

The U.S. Coast Guard monitored the boat, which quickly engulfed in flames and drafted into nearby whirlpools.

Vinalhaven man convicted of Swedish threats

PORTLAND (AP) — A Maine man has been convicted of making hundreds of vulgar and threatening phone calls to the Swedish Embassy in Washington, D.C.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office says 40-year-old Eric Malmstrom was found guilty Monday of transmitting threatening interstate communications after a one-day trial.

Court records show Malmstrom, of Vinalhaven, started calling the embassy in September 2017 and sometimes called as much as 10 times a day.

Malmstrom threatened Swedish Embassy officials and their families, and said he wanted to attack the Swedish monarch with a knife.

Malmstom previously told police he felt the Swedish government ignored him on a previous visit to the country.

He faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Motorcyclist escapes into Maine

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. (AP) — Police in New Hampshire are searching for a motorcyclist who drove away from a traffic stop before fleeing into Maine.

The Portsmouth Herald reports the incident happened Saturday evening in Portsmouth. Portsmouth Police Sgt. David Colby says an officer tried to pull the motorcyclist over when he sped off. Authorities say the man drove over the Memorial bridge into Kittery, Maine, crashed the motorcycle and fled on foot.

Police weren’t able to apprehend the suspect.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Portsmouth Police Department.


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine