Admin

Posted by

Katy England Katy England
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
edge staff writer

Share

Criminal Mischief - 08/13/14

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Three juveniles face felony assault charges

BANGOR Three juveniles are facing felony assault charges after an altercation at Acadia Hospital.

The Bangor Police Department's Criminal Investigations Division has charged three juvenile males with assault as a result of an investigation at Acadia Hospital. Four staff members from Acadia Hospital were treated and released for non-life threatening injuries at a local emergency room.

Two 14-year-olds, one from Bangor and one from Jay, Maine, have been arrested for felony aggravated assault and are currently being held to Mountain View Youth Development in Charleston.

A 17-year-old juvenile from Bangor has been summoned for four separate misdemeanor assault charges and remains at the facility.

Ten-year fine catches up with woman

LUBEC A fine that had been trailing a woman for 10 years caught up with her when she tried to cross the border with a suspended license.

On Aug. 7, Trooper Andy Foss received a call from U.S. Customs in Lubec that Deanna Newman, 43, of Portland had a suspended license. She was summoned for operating after suspension for failure to pay fines dating back 10 years.

Playing good cop and bad cop

RANDOLF A man is facing charges after police helped him with a medical incident.

On Aug. 9, Trooper Nicholas Gleeson was called to assist an unresponsive man inside a vehicle at the IGA in Randolf. He discovered that Daniel Williams, 60, of Pittston was in medical distress. After he was loaded on the ambulance, it was discovered that Williams had taken several items from the IGA without paying. The items were still in Williams's possession, and he was charged with theft.

He was taken to the hospital for additional treatment.

Bar Harbor man charged with possession of child porn

BAR HARBOR Maine State Police Computer Crimes Unit has charged a Bar Harbor man with possessing child pornography.

On Aug. 7, police arrested Randal Babiuk, 46, of Bar Harbor at his workplace. He was charged with possessing sexually explicit material of someone under the age of 12. He was taken to Hancock County Jail.

Babiuk's persona computer was analyzed by the State Police and reportedly contained hundreds of images of children. Police do not believe any of the children depicted to be from Maine.

Maine unveils distracted driving campaign

STATEWIDE Governor Paul R. LePage, along with the Maine Bureau of Highway Safety and State Police, today unveiled a new public awareness campaign against distracted driving. The centerpiece of the campaign is signage on several large commercial trucks that travel in Maine, with the message, 'One Text or Call, Can Wreck it All.' So far 16 trucks have the signage on their cargo sections and the Bureau of Highway Safety intends to add to that number.

'What better way to remind Maine drivers than to reach them while they are actually driving on Maine roads,' said Lauren Stewart, director of the Maine Bureau of Highway Safety. 'The Bureau has made the reduction of distracted driving one of its main priorities. It's a great way to reinforce the message that we want you to Survive Your Drive.''

Governor LePage praised the effort and the Maine based trucking firms who are taking part in the safety campaign. He said he has seen the trucks in his travels around the state. 'I commend our Maine-based distributors for stepping up with their trucks and partnering with the State on this important campaign,' said Governor LePage. 'Last year, according to the Department of Transportation, 3,111 car crashes in Maine were caused by distracted driving. One crash is too many. Mainers can count on my administration to move forward with this message and to enforce our laws.'

In addition to the signage, the Bureau has allocated funding to the State Police for several special enforcement efforts, which will begin this month. All of the funding to combat distracted driving comes from federal highway safety grants and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. In all over $600,000 in federal money is being used to conduct the safety and public awareness effort.

The Chief of the State Police, Colonel Robert Williams, said troopers will be looking for distracted drivers utilizing several unconventional methods such as troopers standing on highway overpasses, at street intersections and patrolling in non-traditional patrol vehicles, including trucks. Williams said, 'Distracted drivers are everywhere and not paying attention to their driving. State Police plan to send the message -- no distractions and no excuses.'

The trucking firms taking part in the effort are East Branch Delivery Services of Bangor, Auburn and Presque Isle; Mark Dyer of Bangor; and Jim and Jason Laptewicz of Portland and Bangor.

Advertisements

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine