Posted by

Allen Adams Allen Adams
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

edge staff writer


Criminal Mischief (07/04/2018)

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Throwing stones

SCARBOROUGH – An incident on the Maine Turnpike in Scarborough resulted in the arrest of a Lewiston man who was allegedly throwing rocks at vehicles.

According to State Police say the man, reportedly high on drugs, was charged after he stopped his car in the median of the Maine Turnpike in Scarborough sometime around midday on July 1 and began throwing rocks at passing cars, damaging three of them. 

When police arrived on the scene, a group of motorists had pinned 42-year-old David Mullen to the ground.  Mullen was charged with criminal mischief and could face additional charges. Southbound traffic on the turnpike was backed up for some time as the incident was resolved. 

Mullen was treated at Maine Medical for facial lacerations.  Mullen told troopers he had been using drugs, including one called “Molly,” which is a form of Ecstasy.

Stolen bikes recovered

BANGOR – Have you recently had your bike stolen? The Bangor Police Department may have found it.

The Bangor PD’s Special Enforcement Team recently seized over two dozen bicycles, believed to be stolen from the Bangor area. They have linked some of the bikes to recent thefts and a burglary, but are still in the process of trying to locate other potential victims.

If you’ve recently had a bicycle stolen from the Bangor area, Bangor PD encourages you to notify the Special Enforcement Team. If you could provide a description of the bike in question along with a model and serial number, that would be extremely helpful.

You can reach out via email to Officer Shannon Farrar ( This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) or to Officer Jordan Perry ( This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ); you can also call 947-7384, extension 5801.

Meth bust in Brewer

BREWER – A drug investigation has led to the arrest of a Brewer man.

On June 27, officers from the Brewer Police Department and Agents from the Maine Drug Enforcement agency executed a search warrant at 17 Spring Street in Brewer. 

As a result of the warrant, 35-year-old Stanley Swallow was arrested for Aggravated Unlawful Operation of a Methamphetamine Laboratory. This case was the result of a joint investigation between Brewer PD and the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency. 

Shooting in Newport

NEWPORT – An evening of drinking stolen alcohol led to a baseball bat brawl that escalated into a Newport man getting shot in the leg, leaving him wounded and the shooter in jail.

According to reports, the alleged shooter – 18-year-old Nathan Wheeler – and a juvenile female stole alcohol from the local Hannaford during the day on June 27. Later that night, the alcohol was being consumed at a gathering at the Gilman Trailer Park on New Road. Apparently, people began fighting one another with baseball bats; this led to Wheeler going to his residence to retrieve a handgun. Wheeler returned and shot the victim in the leg.

After the shooting, the victim was taken by ambulance to Bangor; he has since been released.

Wheeler was arrested and charged with aggravated reckless conduct and aggravated assault; he was taken to Penobscot County Jail and held without bail.

Dixmont standoff

DIXMONT – A series of complaints about threatening behavior by a Dixmont man led to law enforcement intervention and a subsequent standoff that resulted in the suspect being shot.

Shortly before noontime on June 28, Maine State Police in Troop E received a complaint from residents on North Rd in Dixmont who reported a neighbor - 61-year-old Michael S. Grendell, from Fox Lane in Dixmont - had threatened them over the preceding days. Some of those threats allegedly involved the display and use of weapons, including an incident where Grendell shot at a neighbor, pursuing the neighbor in a vehicle with Grendell shooting from his vehicle; at least some of those rounds struck the neighbor’s vehicle and residence.

When members of Troop E initially arrived at the Grendell residence shortly after noon, Grendell came out of the residence; however, he was armed and uncooperative. The troopers elected to move to a secure perimeter; Grendell made his way back inside his residence. At this point, response by the State Police Tactical Team and Crisis Negotiation Team was requested.

Once proper assets were in place and an arrest and search warrant secured, negotiators attempted to contact Grendell using a variety of tactics including a loudspeaker. However, Grendell did not acknowledge any of the attempts made at contact over the next several hours, despite negotiators seeing signs of activity inside the residence.

During the early morning hours of June 29, an attempt was made to contact Grendell using a robot. Grendell’s response was to shoot multiple rounds from inside the residence towards the troopers outside.  Shots were exchanged between Grendell and members of the tactical team; several of the rounds fired by Grendell struck the team’s armored vehicle.  

Grendell continued to randomly shoot from inside the residence at regular intervals over several more hours. By then, the existing specialty teams were augmented by the State Police Incident Management Assistance Team and the State Police Bomb Team.  Due to the duration of the operation, assets were also requested from the Bangor Police Department Tactical Team and the New Hampshire State Police.

Unified Command members considered numerous options before electing to use an explosive device.  The detonation of this device resulted in Grendell coming out of his residence. He was at first armed with a baseball bat, which he relinquished, only to pick up a firearm despite commands not to do so.  It was at that time Grendell was shot. He continued to resist, but officers were able to take him into custody.  He was provided medical aid at the scene and then transported to the hospital. Medical personnel assessed his exact injuries; he was in critical condition upon his arrival at the hospital. 

Grendell was arrested on charges of Reckless Conduct with a Dangerous Weapon and Criminal Threatening; he may face additional charges as the investigation is completed and prosecutors are able to review the facts. Investigators from the Attorney General’s Office are interviewing involved officers. 

The State Police members involved in the direct use of deadly force during the event are Sergeant Christopher Harriman, Trooper Caleb McGary and Trooper Andrew Hardy.  As is the normal protocol, those members are on paid administrative leave while the incident is investigated.


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine