Posted by

Allen Adams Allen Adams
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

edge staff writer


Criminal Mischief (07/03/2019)

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Spilled milk

FALMOUTH – There wasn’t any use crying about it, but there sure was a lot of spilled milk on the highway in Falmouth recently.

According to State Police, a tanker truck hauling milk overturned as it was exiting the Maine Turnpike in Falmouth on the afternoon of June 27. The wreck blocked the southbound exit that leads to the Falmouth Spur at mile 52. That exit was closed for a stretch, but the northbound exit was not affected.

State Police Corporal Fern Cloutier said the tractor trailer, owned by Clarks Milk Transport of Canaan, was traveling too fast on the exit, collided with the median guardrail, overturned and came to rest on its side.

The truck was driven by 21-year-old Ian Chadbourne of Palmyra who was taken to Maine Medical Center with minor injuries. The tanker had over 6,000 gallons of milk contained within; approximately half was spilled. The rest of the cargo was pumped out. The milk had come from a farm in Sabattus and was headed to the Oakhurst plant in Portland.

Assisting troopers were Maine Turnpike personnel and the Maine Department of Environmental Protection. No other vehicles were involved.

Milo arson suspect arrested

MILO – Law enforcement officials have taken a Milo man into custody following an incident on Monday.

According to reports, the man in question allegedly threw his wife’s belongings into the front yard, doused them with gasoline and set them ablaze. The arrestee was 39-year-old Jeffrey Stevens; he was taken in by an Investigator from the Fire Marshal’s Office. The fire took place at the family home at 14 Spring St. in Milo.

There was only minor damage to the residence, but the clothing and personal items thrown in the pile were destroyed by the fire. Stevens was charged with arson and was taken to the Piscataquis County Jail and is awaiting a court appearance

Man sentenced for selling explosives

PORTLAND (AP) — A federal judge has sentenced a Maine man to 27 months in prison for selling an unregistered explosive device to an undercover agent.

A U.S. District Court judge sentenced 23-year-old Michael Rickett of Saco Tuesday.

The federal prosecutor said Rickett also received three years of supervised release.

Rickett’s attorney had argued for eight months incarceration and said Rickett has accepted responsibility. Rickett had pleaded guilty to the charge on Feb. 21, 2019.

The U.S. attorney’s office says concerned citizens in 2017 told Saco police that Rickett had asked them to purchase an explosive device. A federal agent then called Rickett who offered to sell a “military grade IED” for $350.

The agent bought the device, and federal prosecutors say a forensic laboratory examination confirmed the device was an explosive bomb.

Officers commemorate fallen comrades with climb

MILLINOCKET (AP) — Two Maine police officers have climbed the state’s tallest mountain in honor of law enforcement officers who have died while on the job.

The Bangor Daily News reports that Sgt. Tori Tracy and officer Carly Wiggin of Augusta carried a rock while climbing Mount Katahdin this weekend in honor of Ben Campbell, the late detective who died April 3 while helping a motorist who had spun out.

A flying logging-truck wheel had struck Campbell on the side of Interstate 95 in Hampden, and he died almost immediately.

Last modified on Tuesday, 28 June 2022 10:08


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine