Posted by

Katy England Katy England
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
edge staff writer


Criminal Mischief - (03-09-2016)

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Police make arrest in cold case murder of Joyce McLain

EAST MILLINOCKET Maine State Police have arrested a 55-year-old East Millinocket man and charged him in connection with the beating death of 16-year-old Joyce McLain of East Millinocket in the summer of 1980. Charged with murder is Philip Scott Fournier, who was 19 at the time of Joyce's death. He was taken into custody in East Millinocket, driven to the State Police barracks in Bangor, and has been taken to the Penobscot County Jail in Bangor.

Joyce McLain's mother Pam was told of the arrest at her home shortly after it took place by State Police Lt. Troy Gardner, who has headed up the investigation for the past two years.

On Friday Aug. 8, 1980, Joyce McLain left her residence that evening to go jogging in an effort to get in shape for soccer. Joyce was a well-liked student, active in sports and music. Her body was discovered on the power-line behind Schenck High School Sunday morning. The Attorney General's Office, the Medical Examiner's Office and the Maine State Police Criminal Investigation Division (now known as the Major Crimes Unit) were all a part of the initial response and have continued to work on the case for the past 35 1/2 years. In 2008, Joyce's body was exhumed and taken to the Medical Examiner's Office for re-examination. Since that time, the Maine State Police Crime Laboratory and a team of detectives from the Major Crimes Unit, working closely with the Office of the Attorney General, have comprehensively reviewed and supplemented the historical investigation with forensic testing, witness interviews and re-interviews and a number of crime scene searches. Those renewed efforts resulted in the issuance of an arrest warrant and affidavit for Fournier.

Over the years, Fournier has made statements to a number of people indicating his potential knowledge and involvement in her death. Investigators are urging anyone who Fournier may have confided in over the years about this case to contact the Maine State Police Major Crimes Unit in Bangor at 1-800-432-7381. This is the second longest homicide investigation State Police have conducted that has resulted in an arrest. The longest just over 36 years - was the homicide of Blanche Kimball of Augusta in 1976 and the arrest of her killer in 2012.

New York man arrested in connection to shooting death

NEW YORK, NY A New York City man wanted in connection with the shooting deaths of two men in Biddeford in the summer of 2014 was arrested in New York City.

Maine State Police say Fuquan Prince Wilson, 36, is charged with two counts of murder and a single charge of possessing a firearm by a prohibited person. He was secretly indicted by the York County Grand Jury in February.

Fuquan was wanted in connection for the shootings of Russell Lavoie, 42, and Jeffrey Lude, 37, inside an apartment house at 19 Western Ave. in Biddeford on July 6, 2014. Six others were in the apartment at the time of the shooting, and five were located and questioned. Fuquan, who went by the street name 'P,' disappeared after the shooting and State Police later released his photo and his description to the public.

Fuquan originally was wanted for the firearms charge, but the murder charges were added last month following the grand jury action.

He was arrested early on Feb. 29 by the US Marshals Fugitive Task Force in the Bronx. He was being held at the Manhattan Detention Center and extradition proceedings will begin to return him to Maine.

Man charged in construction equipment theft

GARDINER Maine State Police charged Gardiner man with stealing construction equipment from his employer and then selling the item to purchase drugs. Troopers filed burglary and theft by unauthorized taking charges against 34-year-old Edward Robinson. Robinson was charged at the Kennebec County Jail where he was being held on unrelated charges.

Trooper Elisha Fowlie said Robinson stole staging from a home under construction in Chelsea and then sold the equipment, using the proceeds to purchase heroin.

Robinson had been employed by Pepin Properties of Augusta, which was constructing a house at Stone Gate Crossing in Chelsea. The theft of the staging, valued at $3,500, was reported on Dec. 28 and troopers recently recovered the staging from a Gardiner business, which had purchased it from Robinson for $900. Troopers say Robinson, who was part of the construction crew building the house, took the staging after hours and then sold it.

A Connecticut man faces drug trafficking charges

BANGOR A Waterbury, Connecticut man was arrested at an Odlin Road hotel in Bangor after being found in possession of heroin and crack cocaine which he recently brought to the city for resale. The investigation, conducted by MDEA's North Central Office located in Bangor, highlights the continued problem with out of state dealers relocating to cities and towns to sell drugs.

As part of a several-month investigation, MDEA investigators searched the motel room early March 3 and seized over 20 grams of heroin, and several grams of cocaine base (crack). Street value of the drugs is about $5,000.

Charged with trafficking in heroin and crack was Eric A. Maia, 24, of Waterbury, Conn. He is currently being held at the Penobscot County Jail on $25,000 bail.

MDEA received substantial assistance during this investigation from Bangor Police. Also assisting were Holden and State Police. This investigation is continuing and more arrests are likely.

Bangor women charged with trafficking heroin

BANGOR Two Bangor area women have been arrested by MDEA after drug agents seized a half pound of heroin in Bangor. The drugs were being brought in from New York for resale in greater Bangor. The street value of the heroin is $60,000 and the equivalent of 2,300 doses. The arrests came after investigators with the Maine Correctional Center in Windham and drug agents started an investigation into an inmate who is coordinating the drug importation from inside the Windham prison

The inmate was arrested in April of 2015 by MDEA agents in Aroostook County after he was found in possession of 50 grams of heroin. The man was convicted and now serving a five-year sentence in the Maine Correctional Center on an aggravated trafficking in heroin conviction. MDEA is not naming the inmate at this time as he has not yet been charged.

During the investigation, it was determined the inmate was contacting persons outside the prison to make runs to New York City in order to obtain heroin for resale in Bangor. Agents learned that two women, Monique Nichols, 24, of Hudson and Wanda Wyman, 24, of Bangor, with ties to the inmate had left Bangor for New York City to pick up heroin and return to Bangor. On March 3 around 2 a.m., the women's vehicle was stopped by MDEA agents and Bangor Police as it exited I-95 onto Hammond Street.

Agents seized the half pound of heroin from one of the women's purses and about $1,000.

Nichols was charged with class 'A' aggravated trafficking in schedule W drugs (heroin). Her bail was set at $2,000 cash. Wyman was charged with class 'A' aggravated trafficking in schedule W drugs (heroin). Her bail has been set at $50,000 cash.

The two women were taken to the Penobscot County Jail.

State Police also provided assistance during the investigation. MDEA will continue to work closely with the MCC Criminal Investigation Division on this investigation. More arrests are likely.

Last modified on Thursday, 10 March 2016 11:43


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine