Posted by

Mike Fern Mike Fern
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

edge staff writer


Criminal Mischief (03-08-2017)

Rate this item
(0 votes)
This Nissan SUV was stolen from a home in Carrabasset Valley and crashed after a brief chase by police. This Nissan SUV was stolen from a home in Carrabasset Valley and crashed after a brief chase by police. (Photo courtesy of Maine State Police)

Escapees steal, then crash SUV

SOUTH PORTLAND – Three men who escaped from the Long Creek Detention Center are back in custody after they stole an SUV last week and led police on a short chase that ended when they crashed.

Jesse James Ramsdell, 19, of Acton, along with Christopher Harmon, of Sanford, and Jonathan Vasselian, of Summer, both 18, allegedly stole the vehicle in Carrabassett Valley and were spotted on the Maine Turnpike in Falmouth in the morning hours of March 3. When state troopers attempted to stop the vehicle after it went through the Maine Mall exit, the driver took off and the pursuit began.

Concerned that the vehicle would reach heavily populated areas, police performed a PIT maneuver and Ramsdell, who police say was driving the vehicle, lost control of the vehicle and rolled it up on a snow bank. All three were wearing seat belts and were not injured, according to police.

The trio is charged with unauthorized use of property and were taken to the Cumberland County jail. In addition to the stolen SUV, cash, wine and other items were taken from the Stratton Brook Huts, where the teens were staying with Long Creek staffers overnight. Police say the Nissan SUV was stolen from a residence near the hut’s trailhead.

Additional charges from Carrabassett Valley Police are likely.

Man suffers serious burns

LISBON - The State Fire Marshal’s Office said a Lisbon man was seriously burned last week after he reportedly was playing with lighter fluid while intoxicated.

Cory Mathis, 37, suffered serious burns when his clothing caught fire at his home at 706 Lisbon Street on Feb. 28. He was treated at CMMC in Lewiston.

Investigators say Mathis was playing with lighter fluid earlier in the evening by pouring it on his hands and lighting it. He then put the lighter fluid container in his pants pocket, where it leaked. Witnesses told investigators Mathis went into a hallway and then returned with his clothing on fire.

Mathis suffered second degree burns to his legs and also had facial injuries.

Man killed in tanker crash

LIBERTY – The driver of a pickup truck was killed instantly Monday afternoon when his truck veered into the path of an oil tanker truck on Route 3 in Liberty.

The crash took place near the intersection of Marshall Shore Road, according to Steve McCausland, spokesman for the Maine State Police. The driver was identified as Herman Reynolds, 70, of Belfast. The tanker truck driver, identified as Trent Cates, 56, of Solon, attempted to avoid the head-on collision but was unable, according to police. Cates was not injured.

The oil truck, owned by H O Bouchard, ended up on its side in a grassy bog and police said no oil had leaked.

Traffic around the Lake St. George State Park area had to be diverted for the rest of the afternoon.

Woman sought in robbery

BANGOR – Bangor police are searching for a woman they say robbed the Wal-Mart in Bangor on Monday and fled with cash.

The woman entered the store at around 9:30 p.m. on March 6, approached a clerk and demanded money. After being handed the cash, the woman, who was wearing a dark jacket, gray hood and jeans, walked out of the store and left in a 4-door white sedan, according to Sgt. Tim Cotton in a Facebook post.

Anyone with information about the woman, car or robbery is asked to contact Det. Tim Shaw at the Bangor Police Department at 947-7384. Callers can also leave an anonymous tip at that number by selecting option No. 6.


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine