Posted by

Allen Adams Allen Adams
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

edge staff writer


Criminal Mischief (01/03/2018)

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Second arrest in Bangor arson cases

BANGOR – A second man has been arrested in connection with a series of arson fires involving cars that took place in the fall of 2017.

On Dec 29, detectives from the Bangor Police Department, Criminal Investigation Division arrested 21-year-old Matthew Huntington of Bangor and charged him with two counts of Arson (Class A).

This arrest is the result of the on-going criminal investigation into the Nov. 3 arson at Kenny U-Pull, and the Oct. 23 arson at Linnehan’s Rightway Auto, both businesses located in Bangor. In both instances, several vehicles were destroyed.

A co-defendant, Ethan Getchell was previously arrested for the same crimes back on Dec. 20.

Mr. Huntington was taken to the Penobscot County Jail.

The incident remains under investigation and no further information will be available.

Thai Siam robber apprehended

BANGOR -  A Bangor man was arrested following an attempt to rob a local restaurant.

At approximately 5:15 p.m. on Dec. 27, Bangor Police officers and detectives responded to Thai Siam Restaurant located at 128 Main Street in Bangor for a report of a robbery.  Employees at the restaurant reported that a lone male entered the establishment, demanded money and purported to have a firearm. The suspect subsequently fled the restaurant and officers were unable to locate him.

The next day, detectives continued the investigation; as a result, 35-year-old Michael Deshane of Bangor was arrested. Mr. Deshane was charged with one count of Robbery (Class A) and was taken to the Penobscot County Jail.

The investigation revealed that Mr. Deshane was not in fact in possession of a firearm at the time of the robbery.

The incident remains under investigation.


Unity robbery suspect at large

UNITY – Law enforcement officials are still on the lookout for a suspect in a robbery that took place at a store in Unity on Christmas Eve.

At approximately 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 24, Waldo County Communication Center received a 911 call from 145 School Street in Unity, the location of the Family Dollar Store. It was reported that the store’s cashier had been robbed at gunpoint.

Employees reported that a male suspect - identified as a white male, approximately five feet, eight inches tall with a thin build - entered the Family Dollar Store wearing dark clothing; he also had his face covered with a mask. The suspect displayed a handgun and demanded the money from the cash register.

The cashier complied with the suspect’s demands, handing over an unreported amount, and the suspect left the store with the cash, fleeing the scene on foot.

Law enforcement personnel from the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene and were assisted by the Maine State Police. A tracking dog was deployed in the process; however, there was no success in locating the individual.

As of press time, no arrests have yet been made, with detectives continuing to investigate the incident. Anyone with information is encouraged to call the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office at 207-338-2040.

Five charged in Calais shooting

CALAIS (AP) — Five men charged with attempted murder after a shooting in Calais have been jailed on $250,000 cash bail.

The five made initial court appearances on Friday, appearing before a judge via video, before being returned to the Washington County Jail.

The five are identified by police as 27-year-old Stephen Perkins of Baileyville, along with 21-year-old Marcos Luis Figueroa-Frias, 21-year-old Elmer Frias, 26-year-old Jordan Rodriguez and 20-year-old Saul Figueroa, all from New York City.

The five were arrested after a man reported that two people shot at him from a car Wednesday night.

He wasn’t hit.

District Attorney Matthew Foster said all five are charged attempted murder under accomplice-liability theory. He tells WABI-TV that he that he hopes that “with more investigation we’ll figure out what really happened.”

Abandoned animals arrest

FREEMAN TOWNSHIP (AP) — A Maine man accused of abandoning nine dogs in an unheated garage is facing charges.

Police were called to the home of 46-year-old David Ellis after someone doing property work spotted the dogs. Franklin County sheriff’s deputies on Friday rescued nine beagles, including three puppies, that were left behind without food. Their water was frozen.

Temperatures were recorded around 14 degrees below zero.

The dogs were taken to the Franklin County Animal Shelter, where a spokeswoman says the dogs are recovering and are in good condition.

Officials say Ellis had moved to another location, and left the dogs behind. He’s facing misdemeanor animal cruelty charges.

Maine is in the grip of an extended cold snap, with temperatures dipping below zero at night. Officials say the dogs were in an unheated garage with an open door.


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine