Posted by

Katy England Katy England
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
edge staff writer


August 21, 2013

Rate this item
(0 votes)
Compiled from police reports by Katy England Compiled from police reports by Katy England

Paul Edwards promoted to lieutenant

BANGOR Recently, Chief Mark Hathaway promoted Sergeant Paul Edwards to the rank of lieutenant.  Lieutenant Edwards will manage the Support Services Division, which, in part, includes Communications, Training Unit, Court Services, Parking Enforcement, Building Maintenance, Bangor International Airport police detachment, Community Relations Unit, Media Services and the Special Enforcement Team.

Edwards was hired in August 1987 and worked in the patrol division until being transferred to the detective division in 1998. At that time he was assigned as one of three School Resource Officers. Edwards has served as an evidence technician since 2000 and was one of the founding members of what is today the Evidence Response Team, a group of purposely trained officers who perform the duties as a crime scene investigator (CSI). Edwards is also the founding member of the department's Crisis Intervention Team which is a group of officers specially trained to work with those in the community suffering from mental illness.  

He was promoted to sergeant in March 2004 with an assignment as a patrol supervisor. He has served as the police department's public information officer for the past four years.

'Paul is very well known in our community,' said Chief Hathaway in a recent media release. 'He has been a terrific spokesperson for our department. He is well respected by members of our community and those he will supervise. Lieutenant Edwards has been a committed advocate for the homeless and those suffering from mental illness. I am confident he will do a fantastic job as Lieutenant.'

Lieutenant Edwards was raised on the east side of Bangor, attended Bangor schools and continues to live in the city.

Father, son day at jail

ELLSWORTH During the course of an investigation, Maine Drug Enforcement Agents learned that Keith Madore, 52, (father) and Nathaniel Madore, 20 (son), both of Trenton were reportedly picking up a substantial amount of Oxycodone (30mg) in Penobscot County to redistribute in Hancock County.

Agents set up surveillance of the Madores', and learned that they met with several individuals in the Ellsworth area. Agents theorize this was to obtain cash to buy the drugs, and several people entered the vehicle, which then began to travel back to Ellsworth.

Agents enlisted the help of the Ellsworth Police Department, who then stopped the truck. Agents seized 2445 mgs of Oxycodone, which is valued at $4,000, according to the MDEA.

Both Madores were arrested, along with Zachary Wentworth, 20, of Southwest Harbor. All were charged with class B trafficking in Oxycodone, a schedule W drug. They were transported to Hancock County Jail. Further charges may be pending

Man passed out in car on bridge faces charges

BANGOR A man who was found passed out in his vehicle on the Penobscot Bridge is facing charges after police determined he had ingested heroin prior to stopping.

On Aug. 12, around 2:45 a.m., Office Paul Colley was called to the Penobscot Bridge for the report of a man passed out behind the wheel of his car. When the officer arrived he found a brown Chevy Impala stopped in the middle of the bridge and Bangor Fire and Rescue crews assisting the man, who was later identified as George Keefe, 26, of Glenburn.

Colley spoke to a witness, who told him she was a nurse for a local hospital and had stopped to render aid to the man. When she reached into the car to help him she was stuck by a hypodermic needle.

Colley then went to the emergency room and located Keefe. He summoned the man for operating under the influence.

Illinois man arrested for OUI

BREWER A man from Lake in the Hills, Illinois is facing charges for allegedly driving drunk.

Officer Thom Tardiff stopped a car on Parkway South for failure to stop at a stop sign on Aug. 7 around 11:15 p.m. As a result of the investigation, he arrested Scott Wiora, 23, of Lake in the Hills, Illinois, who did not have a driver's license and also exhibited signs of intoxication.

He was arrested for operating under the influence and was also charged with operating without a license and sale and use of drug paraphernalia.

Last modified on Tuesday, 20 August 2013 23:07


The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine