Posted by

Allen Adams Allen Adams
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

edge staff writer

Share

Criminal Mischief (05/22/2019)

May 22, 2019
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Cocaine bust in Machias

MACHIAS – Three people have been arrested on drug charges in Machias.

Maine Drug Enforcement Agents arrested three people in Machias on the night of May 16 and charged them with selling cocaine. The investigation centered on the acquisition of the drugs from New York City being distributed in Hancock and Washington counties.  

MDEA agents assigned to the Downeast District Task Force, based in Ellsworth, recently purchased drugs from suspects at a multi-unit apartment building on Main Street in Machias. At around 9 p.m. on the night of May 16, MDEA agents, assisted by deputy sheriffs and state troopers, served a search warrant on that apartment and seized approximately 64 grams of cocaine base (crack) and over $13,000 in cash.

Arrested and taken into custody were: 44-year-old David Dowling and 36-year-old Angela Ward, both of Machias, and 30-year-old Jeffrey Sherrills of New York, New York. All three were taken to the Washington County Jail and charged with Class A Aggravated Trafficking in Cocaine Base.

Bail was set for each of them at $250,000 cash.

Bust yields 14 pounds of meth

WELLS (AP) — Law enforcement officers they’ve seized 14 pounds of meth during a traffic stop on the Maine Turnpike.

Court documents indicate a trooper pulled over a black Cadillac for a traffic violation on Sunday and that the federal Drug Enforcement Agency had been tipped off that a load of methamphetamine was coming into Maine from New York City.

Officials charged 55-year-old Robert Poliero, of Presque Isle, and 38-year-old Edward Barnes, of Easton, with intent to distribute 50 grams or more of methamphetamine. Both are in federal custody pending detention hearings on Thursday.

If convicted, Poliero and Barnes each face between five and 40 years in federal prison. It’s unclear if they have attorneys.

Bridge, toll plaza to bring change to 8-mile stretch of I-95

KITTERY (AP) — Highway engineers envision an extra travel lane on the I-95 bridge during peak hours and motorists zooming through a new York Toll Plaza without stopping, making it easier to visit Maine.

But first, there will be a couple of years of construction.

The Maine Department of Transportation, Maine Turnpike Authority and New Hampshire Department of Transportation are teaming up on more than $90 million in improvements on an 8-mile (12-kilometer) corridor from the bridge through the new toll plaza over the next few years.

Maine Transportation Commissioner Bruce Van Note on Wednesday outlined steps that are being taken to ensure that there’s minimal impact on travelers.

“We want to reassure travelers and commuters that we have them in mind and are going to be doing everything in our power to keep motorists safe and traffic moving,” he said.

An effort to keep motorists updated, dubbed “Maine Ahead: Building a Better Gateway,” will include a website with a traffic alert sign-up system, and social media channels to follow, officials told reporters at a news conference.

Work began last fall on a new toll plaza in York that’ll allow vehicles to travel through E-ZPass lanes at highway speeds. The $39 million project will be completed in 2021.

Work on the Piscataqua River Bridge, which begins next month, is expected to include upgrades that’ll facilitate extra travel lane during busy travel times. The $52.6 million project will be completed in 2022 with the cost being shared by Maine and New Hampshire.

During construction, three lanes will be open in each direction on the bridge during peak hours. The Maine Turnpike Authority intends to keep three lanes of traffic open in each direction throughout most of the construction on the toll plaza.

Once completed, 1,800 cars will be able to pass through the plaza each hour, an increase of 57 percent, Maine Turnpike officials said.

Drug and gun arrest in Lebanon

LEBANON - Maine State Police arrested a New Hampshire man for firearms and drug charges after finding him in the woods in the town of Lebanon.

Troopers were conducting an investigation on May 15 on Heath Road in Lebanon when they came across a subject attempting to hide in the woods. Troopers began speaking with the man and a revolver was recovered from where he had been hiding. He initially provided a false name, but through the investigation he was identified as a Richard Fortier, 31, of Allenstown, NH.

It was learned that Fortier held an extraditable warrant out of NH for receiving stolen property, was on probation in NH and had an extensive criminal history – one that included felony convictions.

Fortier was found to be in possession of 25 grams of crystal meth, cocaine, suspected Fentanyl, prescription medication and an assortment of ammunition; a loaded 16-gauge shotgun was recovered in close proximity to where Fortier was located.

He was transported to the York County Jail where he was charged with Aggravated Trafficking in Schedule W Drug Class A, Possession of a Firearm by a prohibited person Class C and Fugitive from Justice. Fortier will also be indicted on additional charges. He was held on $20,000.00 bail.

Latest from Allen Adams

back to top