Admin

Posted by

Jodi Hersey Jodi Hersey
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
edge staff writer

Share

Cardboard art on display in Belfast

Rate this item
(0 votes)

BELFAST - Turns out cardboard isn't just for boxes anymore! Waterfall Arts in Belfast is hosting an art show next month called 'Corrugation Nation' which will display pieces of work made mostly out of cardboard. The show organizers say it's a great way to recycle and raise money for the nonprofit's art programs at the same time.

"Cardboard is everywhere and people don't know what to do with it," said Lorna Crichton of Waterfall Arts. "It's going to be an interesting show."

At least 50 percent of each piece of art must be constructed of corrugated cardboard, the kind cardboard boxes are made of rather than paperboard, which cereal boxes are made of. Paint, wood, wire, fiber, glue and other embellishments can be used to enhance the rest of the exhibit.

"A lot of schools have incorporated this into their curriculum, so we have college, high school, middle school and even daycare students participating," explained Crichton. "I know there's a whole dress made out of cardboard. There are people who make chairs and furniture out of cardboard too."

Most of the pieces will be for sale. Artists will receive 60 percent of the profits for their work, with the remaining 40 percent benefiting the Waterfall Arts scholarship program.

"Typically the funds go to help kids and teenagers. We do have some adult scholarships as well," said Crichton.

The Corrugation Nation show will run from April 6 through May 18 at Waterfall Arts on High Street in Belfast. For more information log onto www.waterfallarts.org.

Advertisements

The Maine Edge. All rights reserved. Privacy policy. Terms & Conditions.

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine