Admin

Posted by

John Krawczynski (AP) John Krawczynski (AP)

Red Sox owners ready to move on in 2012

Rate this item
(0 votes)
Boston Red Sox owner John Henry Boston Red Sox owner John Henry AP Photo by Michael Dwyer
FORT MYERS, Fla. - John Henry was walking off the stage after a television interview during his team's first full-squad workout of the spring when the Boston owner was confronted by a lifelong Red Sox fan holding a bright red sign with white letters.

'All we ask is that you make us proud again to be a Boston Red Sox fan,' the sign read.

'We're trying,' Henry told her.

From banning alcohol in the clubhouse to apologizing to a wronged player and planning to be 'more present' this season, the Red Sox ownership group called the 2012 season 'a new chapter.' The last one was a doozy, one that included a stunning collapse on the field and embarrassing conduct in the clubhouse that brought about sweeping changes to the front office and managerial staff and sullied the team's image with its devoted fan base.

Team president Larry Lucchino and chairman Tom Werner addressed the team on Saturday before the workout, hoping to turn the page on last season, once and for all. Henry was present for the meeting but did not speak to the team.

'I would say we feel collectively that we have something to prove in 2012,' Lucchino said.

The Red Sox blew a nine-game lead in the AL East over the final month of last season and afterward reports swirled of starting pitchers drinking beer and eating fried chicken in the clubhouse on their days off rather than cheering their teammates on from the dugout, prompting ownership to get more involved in the day-to-day operations of the club.

New manager Bobby Valentine has banned alcohol in the clubhouse and the owners have taken on a higher profile with the team this winter.

'We said that we accept our share of the responsibility for perhaps not having a more open-door policy,' Werner said. 'I think we'll be more present this year. ... This is a new chapter. We've accepted some collective and individual responsibility.'

General manager Theo Epstein and manager Terry Francona, the tandem that led the long-suffering franchise to two World Series titles, did not return, replaced by Ben Cherington and Valentine, and the Red Sox were not their typical aggressive selves in free agency over the offseason after spending hundreds of millions on Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzales last winter.

Francona raised eyebrows after he parted ways with the Red Sox when he said he couldn't get Henry on the phone to talk about it. Henry said Francona never left a voice message, and he contacted the manager recently to 'clear the air.'

'We had a long conversation a few days ago when I found out he was trying to get in touch with me and it was a great conversation, one that we should have had prior to this,' Henry said.

Henry has been hounded by nervous Red Sox fans throughout New England who worry that he has turned all of his focus, and financial muscle, toward Liverpool, the famed English soccer team that was purchased by the Red Sox parent company last year.

'It's difficult because I'm not here today. I'm somewhere else,' Henry deadpanned, poking fun at those who say he isn't around the Red Sox enough. 'If I were here today, I'd say this is about baseball. Today is about baseball. With us, every day is about baseball. We have other things, too. But every day, pretty much, I think we speak 365 days a year, maybe 364. But virtually every day there's something related to baseball.'

32 comments

• Comment Link Alta Friday, 18 August 2017 12:51 posted by Alta

I believe this is one of the most significant info
    for me. And i'm glad studying your article. However wanna commentary on few general issues, The web site taste is ideal,
    the articles is in point of fact nice : D. Just right process,
    cheers

• Comment Link Jay Thursday, 17 August 2017 12:34 posted by Jay

My family always say that I am wasting my time here at net, except I know I am getting experience every day by reading such fastidious articles or reviews.

• Comment Link Audrea Monday, 14 August 2017 08:32 posted by Audrea

For newest news you have to pay a visit web and on world-wide-web I found this website as a most excellent web page for hottest updates.

• Comment Link Deloris Monday, 14 August 2017 07:51 posted by Deloris

Why viewers still use to read news papers when in this technological globe the whole thing is accessible on net?

• Comment Link Ewan Sunday, 06 August 2017 21:56 posted by Ewan

Just desire to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in your post
    is just spectacular and i can assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Fine with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work.

• Comment Link Jett Saturday, 05 August 2017 12:50 posted by Jett

I wanted to thank you for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoyed
    every little bit of it. I have got you book-marked to check out new things you post…

• Comment Link Cornell Saturday, 05 August 2017 08:04 posted by Cornell

Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a
    similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam feedback?
    If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?

I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any help is very much appreciated.

• Comment Link Stacia Friday, 04 August 2017 10:05 posted by Stacia

Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.
    Is it very difficult to set up your own blog?
    I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick.

I'm thinking about creating my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have
    any ideas or suggestions? Appreciate it

• Comment Link Jung Thursday, 03 August 2017 17:23 posted by Jung

Hi! I know this is kinda off topic however , I'd
    figured I'd ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog article
    or vice-versa? My website addresses a lot of the same subjects as yours and I believe we could greatly
    benefit from each other. If you are interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Terrific blog by the way!

• Comment Link Jeannine Wednesday, 02 August 2017 11:06 posted by Jeannine

Article writing is also a fun, if you be familiar with then you can write or else it is complicated
    to write.