Admin

Posted by

John Krawczynski (AP) John Krawczynski (AP)

Red Sox owners ready to move on in 2012

Rate this item
(0 votes)
Boston Red Sox owner John Henry Boston Red Sox owner John Henry AP Photo by Michael Dwyer
FORT MYERS, Fla. - John Henry was walking off the stage after a television interview during his team's first full-squad workout of the spring when the Boston owner was confronted by a lifelong Red Sox fan holding a bright red sign with white letters.

'All we ask is that you make us proud again to be a Boston Red Sox fan,' the sign read.

'We're trying,' Henry told her.

From banning alcohol in the clubhouse to apologizing to a wronged player and planning to be 'more present' this season, the Red Sox ownership group called the 2012 season 'a new chapter.' The last one was a doozy, one that included a stunning collapse on the field and embarrassing conduct in the clubhouse that brought about sweeping changes to the front office and managerial staff and sullied the team's image with its devoted fan base.

Team president Larry Lucchino and chairman Tom Werner addressed the team on Saturday before the workout, hoping to turn the page on last season, once and for all. Henry was present for the meeting but did not speak to the team.

'I would say we feel collectively that we have something to prove in 2012,' Lucchino said.

The Red Sox blew a nine-game lead in the AL East over the final month of last season and afterward reports swirled of starting pitchers drinking beer and eating fried chicken in the clubhouse on their days off rather than cheering their teammates on from the dugout, prompting ownership to get more involved in the day-to-day operations of the club.

New manager Bobby Valentine has banned alcohol in the clubhouse and the owners have taken on a higher profile with the team this winter.

'We said that we accept our share of the responsibility for perhaps not having a more open-door policy,' Werner said. 'I think we'll be more present this year. ... This is a new chapter. We've accepted some collective and individual responsibility.'

General manager Theo Epstein and manager Terry Francona, the tandem that led the long-suffering franchise to two World Series titles, did not return, replaced by Ben Cherington and Valentine, and the Red Sox were not their typical aggressive selves in free agency over the offseason after spending hundreds of millions on Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzales last winter.

Francona raised eyebrows after he parted ways with the Red Sox when he said he couldn't get Henry on the phone to talk about it. Henry said Francona never left a voice message, and he contacted the manager recently to 'clear the air.'

'We had a long conversation a few days ago when I found out he was trying to get in touch with me and it was a great conversation, one that we should have had prior to this,' Henry said.

Henry has been hounded by nervous Red Sox fans throughout New England who worry that he has turned all of his focus, and financial muscle, toward Liverpool, the famed English soccer team that was purchased by the Red Sox parent company last year.

'It's difficult because I'm not here today. I'm somewhere else,' Henry deadpanned, poking fun at those who say he isn't around the Red Sox enough. 'If I were here today, I'd say this is about baseball. Today is about baseball. With us, every day is about baseball. We have other things, too. But every day, pretty much, I think we speak 365 days a year, maybe 364. But virtually every day there's something related to baseball.'

40 comments

• Comment Link Cathryn Sunday, 17 September 2017 10:46 posted by Cathryn

Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!

• Comment Link Kareem Sunday, 10 September 2017 10:08 posted by Kareem

I enjoy looking through a post that can make people think.

Also, many thanks for allowing me to comment!

• Comment Link Lizzie Thursday, 07 September 2017 21:58 posted by Lizzie

What's up colleagues, its impressive paragraph on the topic of tutoringand fully defined, keep it up all the time.

• Comment Link Kathy Wednesday, 30 August 2017 02:26 posted by Kathy

Remarkable issues here. I am very happy to see your post.

Thank you a lot and I am having a look forward to touch you.
    Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

• Comment Link Millard Friday, 25 August 2017 18:50 posted by Millard

We stumbled over here by a different web page and thought I may as well check things out.
    I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to looking at your
    web page for a second time.

• Comment Link Merlin Wednesday, 23 August 2017 03:01 posted by Merlin

Please let me know if you're looking for a article author for your blog.
    You have some really good posts and I feel I would
    be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off,
    I'd absolutely love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a
    link back to mine. Please send me an email if
    interested. Kudos!

• Comment Link Twila Monday, 21 August 2017 23:25 posted by Twila

Yes! Finally something about ig.

• Comment Link Shawna Saturday, 19 August 2017 23:06 posted by Shawna

First off I would like to say wonderful blog!
    I had a quick question which I'd like to ask if you do not mind.
    I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear
    your thoughts prior to writing. I've had a difficult time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out
    there. I do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the first 10
    to 15 minutes tend to be wasted just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or hints?
    Appreciate it!

• Comment Link Alta Friday, 18 August 2017 12:51 posted by Alta

I believe this is one of the most significant info
    for me. And i'm glad studying your article. However wanna commentary on few general issues, The web site taste is ideal,
    the articles is in point of fact nice : D. Just right process,
    cheers

• Comment Link Jay Thursday, 17 August 2017 12:34 posted by Jay

My family always say that I am wasting my time here at net, except I know I am getting experience every day by reading such fastidious articles or reviews.

<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 Next > End >>