Admin

Posted by

Allen Adams Allen Adams
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

edge staff writer

Share

Criminal Mischief (01/17/2018)

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Houlton heroin bust

HOULTON – Two people have been arrested on drug charges following an investigation in Houlton.

The Maine Drug Enforcement Agency says a Concord, New Hampshire man and his female companion from Houlton have been arrested in Houlton following an investigation into the importation and sale of heroin in Aroostook County.

Drug agents from MDEA’s Aroostook Task Force in Houlton searched an apartment at 65 Court Street in Houlton on the evening of Jan. 10 as part of a month-long investigation into the sale of heroin and other drugs from the residence, including the undercover purchase of suspected heroin from the apartment.

Seized were about 90 grams of suspected heroin and several grams of methamphetamine. The street value of the drugs is $10,000. Other evidence consistent with drug trafficking was also seized.

Charged thus far are:

Matthew A. Perry, 31, of Concord, NH: charged with two counts of unlawful trafficking in schedule W drugs. One of the counts is a Class A aggravated charge due to the amount of suspected heroin seized. The other was a Class B offense.

Perry also had five outstanding arrests warrants for him – three from New Hampshire and two from Maine. In addition, Perry is on probation from New Hampshire for Aggravated Assault. His bail was set at $10,000 cash.

Makayla P. McGuire, 19, of Houlton: charged with a single count of Class A, Aggravated Trafficking in Schedule W Drugs. Her bail was also set at $10,000 cash.

Both were transported to the Aroostook County Jail. MDEA were assisted by the Aroostook County Sheriff’s Office and Houlton Police. This investigation is ongoing and more arrests are possible.

Death marks Bangor’s first 2018 homicide

BANGOR – The death of a man in Bangor has been ruled a homicide, the city’s first of 2018.

A little before 9:45 a.m. on the morning of Jan. 10, a 911 call was placed to the Bangor Police Department reporting that there was a male subject unresponsive in an apartment at 40 Second Street in Bangor. Bangor Police and Fire responded to the address and discovered 51-year-old Israel Lewis deceased in his apartment.

An autopsy was conducted the next morning in Augusta at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner; as a result of the medical examiner’s findings, Mr. Lewis’s death has been determined to be a homicide. 

A team of investigators and crime scene technicians assigned to the Criminal Investigation Division are involved in the continuing investigation.

Information learned at this point does not suggest that there is immediate concern for the public at-large.  

As of press time, the investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information regarding Mr. Lewis is encouraged to contact the Bangor Police Department.

NH man faces prostitution charges

CUMBERLAND - State Police say a New Hampshire truck driver faces prostitution charges after troopers arrested him at the Cumberland service plaza along the Maine Turnpike on Jan. 12. 

Troopers began their investigation earlier in the week after the man had approached a female worker at the plaza for sex.   

30-year-old Luis Castro of Seabrook, NH was arrested on the afternoon of Jan. 12 after he returned to the service plaza in his tractor trailer for a prearranged meeting with what he thought was going to be a teenage girl. Instead Castro was met by Troopers.

He was charged with patronizing prostitution with a minor and taken to the Cumberland County Jail.

Secretary of State warns of fake state websites

AUGUSTA (AP) — Maine’s secretary of state is warning residents to be aware of for-profit websites that offer services provided by the state for free.

Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap says such websites might heighten their activity with the start of a new year because many residents are looking to access state services such as vehicle registration renewal online. He says state residents should only attempt to access state services via the www.maine.gov website.

Dunlap says other websites might have incorrect information or might direct users to pay for services that the state either doesn’t require or does not charge. He says example include for-profit websites that charge people for Bureau of Motor Vehicles services that the state provides for free. He says that’s “not necessarily illegal, but it sure is misleading.”

Advertisements

Website CMS and Development by Links Online Marketing, LLC, Bangor Maine